Careers with swara
Disability Support Worker Role – July 2022
Sunshine Welfare and Remedial Association (SWARA) is a Not-for-Profit learning and life skills centre which aims to empower people of all abilities to reach their full potential in a loving service environment. The SWARA family welcomes all people with low-medium disabilities to attend our Centre in Woolloongabba.
At SWARA we work with participants and their carers to identify goals, develop pathways and work with individuals to achieve their aspirations. In addition, our goal at SWARA is to ensure our participants not only have access to services from SWARA, but also to other services in the community.
Our vision is to be an enduring community leader, empowering people of all abilities to reach their full potential in a loving, service environment.
About The Role
As a Disability Support Worker you will deliver a variety of services and recreations activities to participants.
Our main office is located at 101 Park Road, Woolloongabba (a 2-minute walk from Park Road train station and bus depot!).
We offer a range of NDIS-based supports, including:
* Centre-Based Supports at the Gabba Centre, and
* Community Access Supports
At the Gabba centre, we offer a range of different programs. We have an onsite bakery, pottery shed, e-waste program and even a hospitality kitchen. Our support staff come from multiple backgrounds with artists/musicians running our art & craft, phonics, technology, numeracy and literacy, pottery, yoga and music programs (we also have our very own choir called the swara Songbirds!).
You will provide assistance with all aspects of running our programs including meals, personal care, social and community participation and varying skill development activities.
This is a hands-on role, suitable for active individuals who can perform manual handling duties.
To be successful in this role, our mission and Scope approach will resonate with you and inspire you. Through your work, personal life and own behaviours you will demonstrate the following:
- Comfortable working with people with a range of disabilities
- Commitment to family and person centred approaches, supporting inclusion and participation
- Ability to build and manage friendly relationships within a team environment
- Critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills
To be considered for this role, you must provide the following:
- Industry experience or minimum Cert 3 Individual Support
- Australian Residency Status or valid Australian Working Rights
- Current NDIS Worker Screening or eligible to apply for one
- Current Blue Card or eligible to apply for one
- Current First Aid & CPR Certificate.
- Is capable of functioning semi-autonomously, and able to prioritise their own work within established policies, guidelines, and procedures
- Possesses administrative skills and problem-solving abilities
SWARA as an Employer
Successful candidates will enjoy work-life balance with the centre hours Monday to Friday 9am -3.30pm Monday to Friday, competitive remuneration, salary sacrifice options, and a, friendly and vibrant team environment.
You will also get the unique chance to work for an organisation that is has been at the forefront of disability support for over 45 years.
Above all else, your values must be aligned with the ethos of swara. You must be passionate about contributing towards an organisation’s objective to truly make a difference to the community through a loving service culture.
Please send any questions and your Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com
swara is a Not-for-Profit NDIS registered and DSOA support provider. Loving service is our credo. We aim to brighten the lives of people of all abilities, empowering them with a sense of real worth. We give them the confidence and means of reaching their full potential in a loving service environment. The swara family welcomes all people with mild to moderate disabilities.